Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Emma's Elephant: Saving the Slow Loris

About six years ago I published my story Emma's Elephant, a story about a young girl and her invisible elephant, Ella, who battle nefarious elephant poachers.

I've always wanted to do a follow-up book but the time was never right and I couldn't come up with a suitable storyline. 

That is until I met with my new publishers Pen International who wanted to do a series of books about animal conservation in SE Asia. 

We came up with a few story ideas and then we had to find a good illustrator to redesign the characters for an Asian setting. And I eventually discovered the very talented Mark Yong at the Singapore Game and Comic Con last year.


The road to publication hasn't been an easy one; yes, I'm not an easy road to travel on (quite a grumpy and bumpy one) but we're still on track.

In our first story, Emma and Ella travel to Java to save the slow loris species from being illegally sold as pets.  Yes, they're extremely cute but they are wild animals and removing them from their habitat is incredibly cruel and inhumane. And as they have a toxic bite, animal traders remove their teeth so they can't bite their new owners. Please help stop this now!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog