Friday, November 22, 2013

A Singapore Christmas

The Christmas lights are up on Orchard Road, so it's that time of year again.  A Singapore Christmas was one of the first children's books . So I thought I might share it here with anyone who would like to read it.  Don't ask me why I first started writing in verse; there is no rhyme or reason. As most of you know, I now primarily write in prose. Regardless, I hope you like the story. And if you want to track Santa's Christmas progress, please click this link here. http://www.noradsanta.org




A Singapore Christmas 
By David Seow

Late one Singapore Christmas Eve,
there was a knock on the front door.

It was a secret someone, would you believe.

Without a moment’s pause,
Sam, Sebbie and Di-Di-Di
just knew it had to be Santa Claus.

They crept quietly through the hall.
Sebbie whispered, “It’s Santa.
And I hope he’s brought presents for us all.”

Then they heard Santa say:
“Thank goodness there are no chimneys in Singapore.
All that sliding makes my bottom sore.
I much prefer to use the window, the balcony, 

or the front door.”

Now to their delight,
Santa looked just like what they thought he might.
And though he was wet, wet, wet,
he wasn’t in the slightest bit upset.

The boys asked, “Did Santa swim in a moat?
Just look, he’s completely soaked
from top of his hat to the tip of his coat."

“Santa, did you just have a bath?”
Sam asked.
This made Santa laugh and laugh.

“I have to confess,
look at me,
I’m a soggy, sorry mess.”

"Don't worry, I’ll get you some hot coca,”
said Sam,“in my favourite cup."
“And I’ll get you a towel,”
said Sebbie,“to dry you right up.”

“What can I do?” asked Di-Di-Di.
“Why you sit right here,” said Santa
and he sat Di-Di-Di on his knee.

When Santa was warm and cozy,
and his cheeks were rosy,
he told them his story.
And oh boy, it was a real dohzy!

“As I was flying all over Singapore-
Little India, Chinatown and Geylang Serai-
big storm clouds filled the starry night sky.
Lightning struck as I was right over town
and then my sleigh suddenly broke down.
I had to take a trishaw, a bus, a taxi and an MRT train
and then it began to rain and rain.”

Just then Santa looked out the window
and, there in the distance,

he saw a speeding bright red glow.

“That’s Rudolph and he’s on his way
with my replacement sleigh.
Hooray, Hooray, Hooray!"

Quickly Santa hopped to his feet,
went to his sleigh, and brought back
Sam’s, Sebbie’s and Di-Di-Di’s Christmas
presents, treats and sweets.

“Thank you,” said Sam, Sebbie and Di-Di-Di
as Santa placed their presents
in their stockings and under the tree.

“And now I have to go, go, go,” said Santa.
Then he was off and away

with ho-ho ho
in his very fast sleigh.

It was faster than a bus, a taxi, and an MRT train.

It was faster than a race car.
It was even faster than an aeroplane.

“I’m sleepy,” Sam yawned quite suddenly.
“So are we,” agreed Sebbie and Di-Di-Di.
They were so sleepy,
they fell asleep right by the Christmas tree.

As Christmas Day was dawning,
Sam, Sebbie and Di-Di-Di awoke a-yawning.
“Was Santa really here?” Sam wondered
“It didn’t seem like a dream,” said Sebbie.
“Let’s see what’s under the tree,” insisted Di-Di-Di.

And under the tree, were all
the presents, treats and sweets
Santa had left for them
along with a note that said:

"Thank you for looking after me.
Merry Christmas. See you next year.
Lots of love,
Santa C."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog