Monday, April 29, 2013

London Day Four, PT Two

So after the Singapore networking night, Enrico and I headed out for dinner Chinatown and we had a set dinner of crumbled duck, beef, vegetables, and fried rice for £10+++ per person, a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Then we headed down to the Trafalgar Studios, where James McAvoy was starring in the lead role in a post-apocalyptic version of Macbeth. Tickets were sold out months in advance and there was no way that we would be able to get tickets we were told. Disappointed I decided to go for coffee and perhaps see Mr McAvoy backstage after the performance.

We met two lovely young French ladies who had met him before and assured us that he takes time for all of his fans. Enrico chatted to them in French and we showed them our kids books we intended to give him for his son. There were only four of us standing by the stage door, but as the show ended, people began turning up and all in all about thirty people stood around in the cold, hoping to get that all important photo and autograph.
Trafalgar Studios stage door

Cast members started leaving one by one, some stopped to sign autographs when they were asked but everyone was waiting for Mr McAvoy. Two young theatre students saw where we were standing and positioned themselves right in front of us of us by the stage door so they would be the first to meet him. Mr McAvoy kindly posed for pictures and signed autographs and took his time with each and every fan who was there.

Enrico and I gave him copies of Emma's Elephant and Blue Kangaroo for his young son, and he kindly signed autographs for us. I told him that I wrote the books and Enrico illustrated them. Enrico was supposed to take the photos but I now know why he is an illustrator and not a photographer...he can't take photographs!!
James McAvoy accepts our books!

As we left I said, "Thank you, Mr McAvoy," and he smiled and replied, "Thank you for the books." Then Enrico and I hopped into a cab, too exhausted to take the tube back to our hotel in Earl's Court. It was midnight by the time we got back to the hotel. After a hot shower, I hit the sack, but thanks to jet lag, I was back up at around 3am. Enrico, on the other hand, managed to sleep until 7am.

Search This Blog