Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wares at the Fair

Anyway, things got off to a pretty slow start but at least we got a couple of customers within the first few hours. I have a new respect for anyone who sells anything anywhere. It isn't easy, let me tell you.  Potential customers will come and look, touch, feel your products before deciding not to buy anything. I was tempted to implement a you touch it, you buy it policy, LOL  but that was vetoed by a higher authority.   My neighbor Daniela, however, was attracting a steady stream of customers with her travel bra protectors. Check out the link to her site on one of my earlier postings.

Thank goodness my nephew Alexander was there to help with sales. I mean if you've got a kid around to help with sales, do it. Exploit their cuteness. One lady told Sandy that her kids were too old for picture books, so without missing a beat, he said, "How about for your grandchildren then?" The lady, who I assume was in her early forties was taken aback. It was one of those kodak moments.

Still he did rack up the sales, while I just sat back and directed the operation. Now he wants 5% of the total sales. He's got a better business acumen than I have that's for sure.

I met two other nice ladies at the fair Angelina Seow (no relation as far as I know) who designs jewelry and Helena Pollard, a Julianne Moore look-a-like, a dress and fabric designer. To boost sales during the lack luster hours, I suggested that we join forces. Buy a book and get a free pair of earings or a one-of-a-kind dress. Needless to say, they didn't go for it.

By the end of the two days, we had managed to make a tiny, miniscule profit. Some, however, were not as fortunate. "Waste of time, waste of money" echoed through certain sections of the ballroom. But it was a great learning experience. To me, the fair was not just about selling products but making the human connection with potential customers. Now I just have to strategize how I'm going to make the business work. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Dave, did you have all of your books there or just Soup? I'm glad that you came out ahead.

    Also, don't think of yourself as a failure just because some other author has a big sign touting their accomplishments. Let folks know how good a writer you are by reading your work. Who needs a sign telling folks "I'm awesome!" Not you, people can tell that by talking to you and reading your work.

    I'm looking forward to having your books in hand and reading them to Jonas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan,

    Book should make it to you soon! Thanks for the encouragement! Really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, I've borrowed all your children's books for my kids from the library. they like them! I wasn't aware that you have a new book out--wld you be able to sell me ur new book & ur other books direct? How could we go about doing that? Pl advise. My email is mylittlecyberspot@gmail.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog