Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Royal Inspiration Part Deux


In 2011,  I followed the news of The Royal Wedding with great interest. Then when it was announced the Cambridges were coming and to say I was beside myself with excitement would be an understatement of monumental proportions.


So I  set off to Gardens by the Bay in the hopes of meeting the royal couple with my mum and niece at the unearthly hour of 6:45am. We found a spot right against the barricades next to the Adeney family. As we had an extra bouquet of flowers, Mum handed one to Alice to give to the pretty princess.



After waiting for hours in the blazing sun, the royal tram came by and stopped right in front of us. The Duke walked in one direction, while the Duchess came over towards us. First she engaged Alice in conversation before making her was over to my My niece who was trembling with excitement as she handed the Duchess a hand-drawn pencil sketch.  Of the three of us, Mum did the most talking. 

Mum gave her a photo that I had taken of Princess Diana as well a copy of my children’s book Blow A Kiss. I raised my hand like a naughty schoolboy saying, "I took that photo. I wrote that book,'' and then I asked if I could shake her hand, which of course she said I could. With that, she smiled, waved, and moved off to meet the rest of the sweaty, screaming masses of royalists who were melting under the Singapore sun.


The Duchess accepts a copy of Blow A Kiss





A reporter later interviewed my mum about what she discussed and she was quoted in Hello and though she says that she was embarrassed by it, I think she was rather chuffed.


The Duchess holding her copy of my book Blow a Kiss +Raymond Liw






As there were no souvenirs commemorating the royal visit, I decided to write a children's book about it. I tried to self-publish the book before my publisher suggested making it part of my Sam, Sebbie, and Di-Di-Di series of books, and that's what I did. A year and a half after the royal couple's visit, the book was finally published! I dedicated it to Alice and Mikey Adeney and to a little guy named George Alexander Louis.


A few months after it was published, it was announced that the Duchess was expecting her second baby. So I started thinking about a  sequel that would be set in London and would include Prince George, his new sibling, and Lupo.

Thank you, everyone, for your support, and I can't wait for the new book to be out. I will be giving away a copy of the book once it is hot off the press. Check back for details.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog