Friday, March 6, 2015

ALL IN YOUNG WRITERS MEDIA FESTIVAL

Sarah, Ken and me at the All In Young Writers Media Festival


Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I've been down with a horrendous bout of the flu and it's turned into a horrible wretching-kind of cough, but I'm sure you don't need to know the details.

Last Saturday I managed to drag myself out of my bed to attend the All In Young Writers Media Festival. Carlo invited me to be part of a  panel discussing the lives of a full-time authors along with the amazingly talented Otto Fong and Zed Yeo. How my pathetic part of the presentation would compare to theirs made me feel even worse!



Any how, I showed up early to support friend and fellow-author Sarah Mounsey who was discussing self-publishing. Of course, she
did a  great job of her presentation which made me doubt myself even more.





Denise of Closetful of Books was there after arriving back from India  with loads of books in her baggage--none of which were for me--and a big case of the flu. So the both of us were hacking up a storm at the Library at Orchard Gateway! So if you were there and you caught the flu bug you know who to blame --Denise!


Kelvin and Denise: Don't let her smile fool you. She's spreading her germs
everywhere!
After lunch I headed home to work a bit more on my presentation. Linn Shekinah who was facilitating the panel discussion had already prepared a brilliant powerpoint slide show for me based on the pictures that I mailed her but I felt that I could add more too it. In any event I didn't do much at home except take my medication before heading back for the panel discussion.


Otto

Otto was up first and boy his presentation was fantastic. He also showed us his old school report card. I've never seen so many As in my life--or I should say my report cards never looked like that. Quite the opposite actually.



Then it was my turn to speak and wouldn't you know it, the computer froze up and I had to speak off the cuff. Sorry guys and girls. So I rambled on for about 10 minutes before it was Zed's turn. And wouldn't you know it, the computer started working again. It's just as well because Zed gave a fantastic powerpoint presentation just like Otto.


Zed

With our individual presentations done, the panel discussion commenced with Linn facilitating. The audience members were great and I think we gave them an insight into the world of full-time authors. Now it's up to them if they really want to take the plunge.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog