Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bologna Children's Book Fair Day # 1

19 March 2012


We awoke in the wee hours of the morning. Ah, the joys of jet lag. Kenneth was already hard at work. I really don't know how he does it. Then as day light dawned, we got ready and headed down for breakfast before heading out for the first day of the fair.



Kenneth at breakfast before heading to the fair


Once again we caught a cab and the fair ground was packed with people lining up for tickets. I was grateful that we had booked online and had our fast track entry. All we had to do was pick up our badge holders.  Once that was done we headed past the Illustrators' wall and straight to the SCBWI booth where Kenneth was scheduled for the first of his many meetings.



Kenneth Quek, Corrine Robson and Marjorie Coughlan
It was there that we met the lovely ladies of Paper Tigers: Corrine Robson and Marjorie Coughlan. I had met Corrine at last year's AFCC but this was the first time I was meeting Corrine. We made plans to meet later in the week for dinner.

Between meetings Kenneth and I walked around the halls and we met my agent Linda Lingard  and Zakiah Mohd Isa at the Malaysian Booth.

Kenneth Quek, Linda Lingard and Zakiah Mohd Isa

I have to say that it was quite an overwhelming first day and very exhausting. We left the fair at 6pm and headed back to the hotel for a quick change before going to the famous SCBWI dinner and dance at a bookstore. I met the very talented Rachelle Meyer, who creates the most beautiful illustrations and Tioka who is an acquisitions editor from Hachette. I am not very good in social situations, unlike Kenneth who is able to talk to anyone with ease and confidence,  I tend to clam up or say something awkward or embarrassing but Rachelle and Tioka and Kathleen and Angela were all very welcoming so I began to relax somewhat. As we were both extremely exhausted Kenneth and I headed back to our hotel to rest up for what was in all probability going to be a very, very, very long day.

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget