Wednesday, December 9, 2009

BATTLE OF THE WARES AT THE CHRISTMAS FAIR


Hi everyone,

It's Christmas time and what precedes Christmas? Christmas fairs. There's Soup on My Fly has been out for about a week and a half or so and since then  I've  been on the go. About two days after the books came out Mom told me that  she had booked  me half a table.  I was like, "what?' half a table of what?"  She explained that she booked  half a table for me at a Christmas fair, where I could sell my books.   My first thought was, What  good is half a table with two legs? I mean, really, seriously, was I going to balance part of  the table on my lap? What would happen if I needed to take a leak? Alternatively if she meant I would be sharing the table, with whom would I be sharing the table? I mean I certainly couldn't be sharing one with a massage therapist, that's for sure.

Well, what she actually meant was that she had booked me a small table for me at a  Christmas fair, one of the many Christmas fairs that have been going around town. Yes, I know we're supposed to be in a global recession, but when it comes to shopping, Singapore's the Consumer Capitol of SE Asia.

Anyway Mom had a friend who would be selling her wares too so she thought it would be good fun if I tried to try selling the book there before I commited to a sole distributor  So without knowing what I was getting into I headed off  to the grand ballroom of the Orchard Hotel, where there would be over one hundred vendors, vying with one another to get customers to part with their hard-earned cash.

One benefit was the fact that I would be the only children's book vendor at the fair, or so the organizer assured me. Most of the other vendors would be selling jewelry etc. Well, at least I won't have any competition, I thought. Then two days ago, the day before the fair, the organzier called, offering profuse apologies, another author would be there, a children's author, a teen author and a novelist and one who is known to be extremely effective when it comes to marketing her books...Oh crap, I thought...(To Be Continued)

2 comments:

  1. Well it sounds like a case of Murphy's Law...story of my life....are we related Dave?...Lol...Good luck my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog