Sunday, November 8, 2009

Print, The Writers Festival, Neil Gaiman & Best-Selling Magic Hand Sweat

After months of anguishing over TSOMF, it's finally going to print. Paying the illustrator this week, paying the printer after that. Anxious, nervous basketcase is basically my current state of being. Just wondering if anyone else out there is equally as frazzled when they've just completed a project, or is it just me?

I remember when I was in school, I'd make long distance calls home, convinced I had failed a course or an exam, only to find out that I aced it when the results came out. Needless to say, Mom and Dad weren't too amused. Does anyone else set themselves up with low expectations so that they don't jinx themselves, or is it just me again?

Anyway, working on my next book, Blow A Kiss.  It's very different from my previous stories and it's basically about one child's wish. This one's going to be somewhat challenging as I'm illustrating this one myself. Time to step out of the comfort zone. The book is scheduled to be out by February next year.




Oh, before I forget, I met Neil Gaiman at the Singapore Writer's Festival. Terrific speaker, who would have thought someone who writes such such dark and macabre stories could be so  funny? Got in line right after his first talk so that I could get a book signed for my nephew and myself. Then I was told everyone could get only one item signed. Fortuitously, I spotted one of my Sunday School students attending another talk, and his mother graciously agreed to lend him to me so that I could get my other book signed.


As  his current project is based on the Chinese classic 'Journey to the West", I  brought along a copy of my book 'Monkey the Classic Chinese Adventure Tale"in the hopes of presenting it to him. I didn't know if it would be possible as the ushers were ushing people along at NASCAR pace. Soon I was in front of the great writer himself. 'Mr Gaiman, I thought you might like this. I wrote it," I stammered. He looked at me and smiled, and then he did something quite unexpected--he asked for my email or my business card.



I stood there motionless like a blithering idiot before scrummaging my pockets for a name card. "You can write your email down on the book," he suggested. The people behind me started to sigh in frustration; the ushers rolled their eyes.  I finally produced a rather earmarked one from my wallet, trembling I handed it to him.  "Thank you for the book, he said, shaking my hand firmly, before signing my book.

All the while I was thinking, may your best-selling magic hand sweat rub off on to me. May your best-selling magic hand sweat rub off on to me! Then with another handshake I thanked him and I was ushered off.

And so now, I wait most anxiously for Mr Gaiman's email. Maybe he didn't like the book, maybe he lost my card, maybe he's using the book as a door stopper. Oh well, no use specualting what will be will be. That's all for now folks.


4 comments:

  1. Dave,

    This is a great post full of fantastic news! I'm so excited about TSOMF. The stage fright and nerves are, I'm sure, common among most folks when they meet someone they admire and or look up to. I know I've been that way.

    As for not setting the bar too high so you don't let yourself down, yep, I'm guilty of that too.

    Keep me updated on Blow A Kiss. I'm sure it'll be phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,

    Thanks very much for your kind words. Yes, I turn into a blabbering idiot when I meet one of my favorite writers, actors, singers etc. Most who know me would say I'm one most of the time anyway. Thanks so much again. Means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about the Blow me a Kiss book. That's so exciting!! :–)) I'd love to see your illustrations. Your Bonnie Books logo is fantastic so I'm sure your new book will be amazing too. See you Friday if not before :-) H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I don't feel frazzled after I finish a project, I get the anxiety in the middle..when completed I am calm. Yeah, I don't look at the glass half full, always trying to prepare myself for what might happened. I outed myself years ago for being too sensitive and a pessismist. It was so liberating because no one can ever use those cards on me. It's my joke! Isn't it fun to meet iconic people, I always liked it but I'm one of those weird ones that don't feel intimidated as long as I am well versed in their field, there just people! Looking forward to hearing about the new book and I think it's fab that the entire work will be your baby and yours alone! p.s. Bette Midler did a routine called "anxst on a string"...after she tells herself about the impossibility of it all...her reply is "why bother!"

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog