Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Writing for Kids



I've had some people ask me about the process of writing kids' books.  Well, I would say it is pretty much like a pregnancy. Yeah, what would I know about being pregnant, right? But think about it - you start by  conceiving the idea, then you get cravings during the gestation -for me it's usually potato chips or cheetos. Then you go through mood swings and finally you suffer intense labor pains  to bring your story into the world and without the benefit of a literary epidural!

So how do you figure out what kids like or want to read? It helps if you're around kids a lot so you can observe them - watch what they do, how they talk, what they talk about, and what they like to read or watch on TV. When you get signed to a publisher, a lot of your ideas may get thrown out the window. it's happened to me and others as well, but it's something you have to put up with if you want to see your story in print.

Having said that,  I believe that everyone has a story in them, be it a kids story or an adult one and it deserves to be shared in one form or another. So if you have any questions about writing for kids, please let me know and I'll try to answer them.


2 comments:

  1. Dave, I really like the analogy of pregnancy and having your baby ( your latest book ) delivered full term and in top form!...cute pic too !...awww

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yes, with the cravings and mood swings it seems like a pregnancy from what little I know about it. lol Yes, the pic, dats me. Still remember the day. Cried right after that. Not allowed to put pics up of the nephews or niece.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog