Saturday, August 22, 2009

'I WANT A PET!'


When you were a kid, did you ever ask your parents for a pet? Did they grant your wish or did they shoot you down continuously? My parents did the latter. Well, I guess I sort of had a pet - kind of. We had a daschund, but she was a year older than me. And technically she wasn't MY pet, she was my sister's.

It was when I was about  18 months old that my parents discovered that I wasn't very good with animals. Apparently I was in the midst of shoving a cookie into my face when most of it fell on the floor. My philosophy has always been never let a good cookie go to waste, so I scrambled out of my high chair to pick it up, only to see Waggley, our  daschund, gobble it up.

You know what they say about taking candy, or in this case a cookie, from babies? Well, THIS baby was having none of it. Before Mom could stop me, I yanked Waggley's mouth open and attempted to retrive MY cookie. When that didn't work, I decided to get even. I grabbed Waggley's tail and clamped down on it with my teeth! Apparently I was spitting reddish-brown dog fur out of my mouth for the next couple of minutes. So you can see why my parents kept on refusing my pet requests. I was a potential Michael Vick in the making.

My upcoming book 'TSOMF" is based on my childhood quest for a pet.  And here's a sneak peak of  my main character Jeremy Alexander. I think my illustrator YT Chieu is a phenomenal artist and has captured the essence of the story incredibly well. I'm totally psyched about this story and I hope you will like it too.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left a comment about what it is like for me when looking for the perfect book for the child, then I realized I was not commenting on your theme of the upcoming book ( so I deleted it, sorry ; being inspired by the whole cookie and the daschund in your youth sets a good premise for what is to follow; thank goodness, u didn't become Vick like and still appreciated wanting a dog and later writing about it...great idea, dave.....heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather, would love to hear what you look for in a book. Any advice much, much, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious! I guess you showed them who the alpha dog was, eh ;)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog