Monday, August 24, 2009

Back to School

Summer's almost over. Well, it's over for some kids who are already back to school. I remember when the first day of school was fast approaching - I dreaded it. I didn't want to go back.  Come to think of it, I didn't want to go to school at all, ever - period!

Well, in that respect my nephew Sebastian was pretty much like me when I was a kid. He cried when he found out he would have to go to school, he cried every minute when he was at school, and he cried when he realized he would have to go back to school the very next day.

Sebbie's First Day of School was the very first book that I ever wrote and I think it's pretty much about what both of us experienced on our respective first days of school. The book sold really well, but my publisher decided against a second print run - go figure!

Can you remember your very first day of school?   Did you go through a gamut of emotions  - fear, anxiety, excitement? Are your kids about to start going to school? Are they getting anxious about it? If so, let's talk. Maybe we can compare notes to figure out the best way to make the first day of school a positive experience.

Anyway,  I have a few copies of SFDOS available so if you're a parent with a kid struggling with first school day blues, let me know and I'll send you up a copy. Talk to you soon, D

3 comments:

  1. Well, nerd that I was, I didn't mind, I enjoyed buying my school stuff, of course I dreaded when the homework came....I think it is a good idea for them to go shopping for there pencils, markers, notebooks...soon as they click with that first kid...it gets easier or more importantly the teacher...unfortuanely there are some people that don't belong in education...it's all luck or research; I like the illustration of your book1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather, i hated school, never wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always dreaded the first day of school as a student. As a teacher, I realise even educators have 1st day jitters! Maybe you should write a book for teachers too lol :D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog